Our History

The denomination, founded by Herbert W. Armstrong in 1934, was originally called the Radio Church of God. It became the Worldwide Church of God in 1968.

After Herbert Armstrong's death in 1986, the church re-examined its doctrines and teachings. This process led to a complete reformation to Christian orthodoxy by the mid 1990s. The evangelical denomination is now a member of the National Association of Evangelicals with church president, Joseph Tkach, serving on its board.

These doctrinal changes were so far-reaching that the descision was made to change the church's name once more, from World Wide Church of God to something else.

Members, pastors, national directors and missions directors from around the world were included in the name selection process, which began in late 2005. After all factors and criteria were considered, the Church Board and its Advisory Council of Elders settled on the name "Grace Communion International." Denominational leaders believe the new name better describes what the church has become and will serve it more effectively in the future.

The message of the church now centers on Trinitarian, Incarnational theology and salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ. By 1995, the church had abandoned its former legalistic doctrines, exclusivist teaching, and prophetic speculation and has been warmly embraced by the Christian community. The church sees itself in full communion with the greater Body of Christ and a participant in the collective effort to proclaim the gospel of grace.

 

 

 

Copyright Grace communion International | Powered by Optic Blaze